8.05.2009

IMPOSSIBLE THINGS

"There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Lewis Carroll

I had to laugh, even though I'm thinking of children in general, my nieces in specific, this quote also makes me think of politicians and corporations. They ask us to believe impossible things all the time. (And we do.)

That can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what is motivating them and us to believe impossible things. The greed factor is still so high in the U.S. right now.

But that is not what I want to talk about this morning.

I choose to believe the impossible in a different way. Like writing a fantasy poem for my nieces. (Which you will find on my poetry blog.) Or writing anything that doesn't consist of facts only.

One would think that believing in anything fiction would certainly encompass the impossible, but facts don't always hold the truth, and sometimes fiction, impossible fiction, has more truth embedded in it than, "Just the facts, Mam, just the facts."

But if we didn't believe in impossible things, we would never write anything, or create anything, or discover anything or invent anything. Soloving the impossible is the lure to the human heart and mind that keeps us moving forward.

I just talked to my brother, Lee, this morning. They are back home now and relaxing from they long journey.

It was so good to see them. And I'm believing the impossible when I say I'm going to see them next year.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Linda...You can order it online (just click on the picture of the book and that will take you directly to the site) or if you would prefer you can mail me a check and I will send you a copy when I get my order in. Let me know which option you prefer...there's a link to my email on my profile page. Thank you so much! This means sooo much to me.
    Hugs,
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete