3.06.2009

TOMORROW

"Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."
Mark Twain

My husband, Duncan, blogs every day. In the Bend Blog circles he is unusual in this way. Now that I've been blogging for a couple of months, I see just how hard it is to be consistent.

I've been reading. Spending time in the fictional cocoon, with Robert McCammon. l and ll of "Speaks the Nightbird". 1699 a witch trial. People making an enemy out of someone different.

Then I got hooked by a memoir. My Lobotomy, by Howard Dully.

Wow!

If you go to NPR My Lobotomy, you can listen to his story.

When I was about 12 or 13 I had a friend who's Mom had a lobotomy. It was always a very scary thing to think about. I don't remember what she was like before, or even if I knew her before, but she was not engaged.

There, but not there.

I don't know if this helped her, or hurt her. I don't know if it made life less difficult for the family or not.

When I ask my friend what a lobotomy was, she said they cut my mom's brain.

I don't remember much more than that. But I saw this grinning woman every time I went to visit my friend at her home. Her mother would stare and grin and laugh, even when no one was talking to her.

It always made me feel sad. I would wonder what was she thinking. And why they had done that to her?

Personality, and experience is all such a complex mix that each one of us has to deal with in our lives, if only we could see more clearly what Longfellow once said, "If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility."

Of course this does not answer all, or excuse bad behavior, their is always the why. Why me? Why now? Why?

That is a question everyone of us has had to struggle with at some point in our lives, and most of us would like to put it off till tomorrow or day after tomorrow, because we think difficult things are better done in the future.

Mark Twain didn't know what he was talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment