1.25.2009

BUSINESS IS BOOKING

"Books, books, and more books."
Me. I say it everyday.

Saturdays are particularly busy these days. I had 97 people in the door yesterday, and over 300 books came with them.

Lately I've had to go back to work on Sunday afternoons because my intake table is still holding books I couldn't get to on Saturday, and I don't like to leave them for my employee.

What a problem to have, right?

Actually, I'm told, it is a sign of health. But also a lot of work. Someone has to price, clean and shelve all of those books in order to make it all work.

I average around 200 books coming in a day. That would be about a bookcase and a half worth of books. About all one person working alone can manage, and still take care of the customers.

I do have a friend who volunteers a few hours a week, we have fun working together and visiting, mostly after hours. My husband helps too, after he leaves his store. We have "His" and "Hers" book stores.

My employee works Mondays and Tuesdays and I'm closed on Sunday. That gives me time to work uninterrupted when filing so I can clear the way for the two days I'm not there.

I actually love being in the store alone, it's very peaceful and I can get a lot done. I listen to music or audio books while I work.

I really enjoy what I do for a living. People, books and my cat comes with. What could be better?

Well, maybe...time enough to read them all.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to have your job - even though it does sound like it takes up a good portion of a day.

    What could be better? For me, writing the books. Beyond that, I can't think of a thing.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete